This Lima bean casserole with pancetta, garlic, tomato and parsley is elegant, soft and a great addition to many dinner or lunch dishes. The broth is smooth and once mounted with the butter will make a beautiful film around the beans. Pancetta for some body and the parsley to finish.
- 150 gram Lima beans or other white beans
- 75 gram pancetta cubes
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 30 gram butter
- 2 tomatoes
- 10 gram parsley
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Drain the beans, rinse with cold water, and add the beans to a cooking pot. Boil them slowly with lightly salted water for about 45 minutes till they are nice and soft. Depending on your bean size and soak time the time will vary till they are cooked, so always check to make sure they are cooked thoroughly.
- Chop the shallot, parsley, and garlic.
- Peel the tomato, remove the seeds and cut into chunks.
- Heat a small deep casserole and sweat the garlic, shallot, and pancetta cubes in the butter.
- Add the beans with their cooking liquid and the tomato chunks and cook together for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the liquid into a measure jug en blend the sauce with a handheld blender. This will emulsify the liquid into a delicious broth. Season the broth with salt if necessary and pour it back over the beans. Add the chopped parsley and serve.