This traditional Portuguese Caldo Verde soup is a real crowd-pleaser. A light potato soup with lots of healthy kale en slices of chorizo to give it body. The recipe is super simple, cheap, and never misses.
Portuguese Caldo Verde (potato and kale soup with chorizo)
- 1.5 litre vegetable stock
- 325 gram potato
- 1 bay leaf
- 150 gram curly kale
- 50 gram chorizo
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Cook the potatoes in the stock with the bay leaf till it is completely cooked.
- Remove the bay leaf and blender with a handheld blender.
- Wash and chop the kale.
- Peel the skin from chorizo and slice in half-moon slices.
- Add the kale and the chorizo to the broth and cook for 10 minutes till the kale is tender.
- Skim off any fat from the chorizo whilst cooking.
- Season with salt and finish with a drop of olive oil.